District Extends Application Timeline for School Boundary Realignment Committee
With the passing of the Hermiston School Bond on November 4, 2008, the community has chosen to replace 3 of the most aged schools in the District. In response to the burgeoning enrollment growth, commensurate with the recommendation of the Blue Ribbon Panel and Long Range Facility Planning Committee, the replacement schools will be larger facilities with the ability to handle increased capacity to alleviate overcrowded conditions at the remaining campuses. With an anticipated opening for the fall of 2011, the Board of Directors have chosen to form a School Boundary Realignment Committee (SBRC) tasked to review and recommend to the Board updated school attendance boundaries for the elementary and middle school campuses.
The Hermiston School District is seeking dedicated applicants to serve on the School Boundary Realignment Committee. Appointed by the Superintendent from applications received, the committee will consist of 4 elementary school parents, 4 middle school parents, 2 members of the business community (not required to be parents), 2 School Board representatives, and necessary administrative and support staff. Parent representatives must have student(s) who are enrolled in the appropriate level during the 2009-10 and 2010-11 school year.
The committee will meet quarterly or as needed during the evening hours beginning this winter and continuing through late fall next school year. Following is the Board-established Charge for the committee:
"With the completion of three replacement schools expected in the fall of 2011, the Board requires a stakeholder review and recommendation as to the re-alignment of elementary and middle school boundaries across the District. The committee will meet at least quarterly and keep minutes of the proceedings. The Committee’s final recommendation should be presented to the Board of Education (BOE) by January 15, 2011. The BOE charges the committee to use the following criteria in developing their recommendations:
• Review capacity and program limitations of each elementary and middle school campus
• Consider current and projected student population growth across the Hermiston School District attendance area
• Maximize neighborhood school attendance
• Maximize transportation efficiencies
• Where possible, balance socio-economic and ethnic representation
• Create a feeder elementary school approach where practical
• Honor historical attendance boundaries when appropriate
• Establish a system to offer opportunities, when practical, to permit students to continue attending their current school should boundary re-alignments affect their attendance area school."
How to apply:
Interested parents/community members are asked to fill out an application and either mail or deliver by Monday, December 7 to:
Hermiston School District
Attn: Wade Smith
502 W Standard Ave
Hermiston, OR 97838
For questions, please contact the District Office at 541.667.6000.